Baseball plays Seaman at Kauffman Stadium

Brittney Wilson

Sophomore Payton Smith prepares to throw a pitch at practice on March 16.

The baseball team’s third game of the season was their fourth year in a row participating in the High School Baseball Classic game at Kauffman Stadium.

Every year, more than 20 teams get the chance to play at Kauffman Stadium by selling Kansas City Royals ticket vouchers.

Senior Spencer Howard has had the chance to participate in the game at Kauffman Stadium for three of his four seasons.

Howard said he looks forward to getting the chance to play at Kauffman Stadium every season.

It’s my favorite game of the year because I get to play on the same field as some of the greatest baseball players in the world”

— Senior Spencer Howard

“It’s my favorite game of the year because I get to play on the same field as some of the greatest baseball players in the world,” Howard said.

The team played Shawnee Heights the night before they played Seaman in the High School Baseball Classic, which caused some problems due to KSHSAA’s strict rules regarding the amount of pitches that can be thrown by an athlete.

If an athlete throws over 25 pitches in a night, they are required to take at least one full day’s worth of rest before being able to pitch again.

After splitting the double header with Shawnee Heights on Friday night, Washburn Rural needed to use solid pitchers on Saturday as well.

This gave sophomore Matt Nedved a great opportunity. Not only was he able to play on the Royals’ field, but he got to start on the mound.

Nedved said he noticed who head coach Jay Mastin was playing on Friday night and hoped that meant he would get this shot.

“We had started our better arms the night before against [Shawnee] Heights, so I had some idea of who Mastin was going to put on the mound at Kauffman,” Nedved said.

Playing baseball in a Major League stadium is something the players will never forget”

— Head coach Jay Mastin

Mastin said he believes that an opportunity like getting to play at a Major Lweague stadium helps prepare his players for the future.

“Playing baseball in a Major League stadium is something the players will never forget,” Mastin said. “Playing in that environment will help them down the road if we are fortunate enough to make it to State.”

The baseball team ended up losing to Seaman 4-1 in the High School Baseball Classic.