• September 8Football @ Manhattan High School

• September 5Boys Soccer vs St Thomas Aquinas at 6:15

• August 21First Solar Eclipse in 38 Years

• May 12Boys tennis competes at State at Olathe Northwest at 11 a.m.

• May 12Girls swim competes at League at the KSU Natatorium at 3:30 p.m.

Filed under News

Paraeducator receives award for volunteer work

Paraeducator Brandon Evans receives the Presidential Lifetime Achievement Award from motivational speaker and success coach Rueben West on March 16.

Brittney Wilson

Brittney Wilson

The President’s Lifetime Achievement Award is given to citizens who go above and beyond when volunteering in their community. Those given the award receive a personalized certificate of achievement, official President’s Volunteer Service Award pin medallion or coin and a congratulatory letter from the president.

Paraeducator Brandon Evans was surprised with this prestigious award during a ceremony at school on March 16.

“I’m feeling shocked,” Evans said. “It kind of took me by surprise, honestly. I knew I was nominated, but I didn’t really know what to expect and when to expect it.”

Evans was nominated by motivational speaker and success coach Rueben West.

“The president makes it a point to recognize people who are doing great things for our country, and I think this award is befitting for him,” West said. “[Evans] is one of those citizens that are willing to go above and beyond to help other people.”

West is a family friend of the Evans. He attends church with Evans’ father and went to school with his mother.

I describe him as a person who really makes a difference in other people’s lives”

— Motivational speaker and success coach Rueben West

“[Evans] is a very giving person,” West said.  “He is someone who focuses more on other people than he does on himself. From that, I describe him as a person who really makes a difference in other people’s lives.”

Senior Caroline Daniels knows Evans through his volunteer work and dedication as a paraeducator at the school.

“[Evans] is the most generous, selfless and humble person I know. He is always there to help somebody, anybody that he can help, and he always does it with no reward expected. He does it completely for other people,” Daniels said.

Evans started volunteering around the age of 16. He provided for families around him who could not afford Thanksgiving or Christmas meals.

“Poverty inspired me [to volunteer],” Evans said. “I’m from East Topeka, and there’s a lot going on over there; they don’t have a lot. When you come from that, you can see what it leads to.”

Beyond Washburn Rural High School, Evans volunteers around Central and East Topeka, but said he hopes to reach even farther in the future.

“We’re branching out to Lawrence [and] to Manhattan. We’ve got families that we adopted last year in Chanute,” Evans said. “I’m ready to go. I’ve got a good team with me. We’re going to make a lot happen this year.”

No matter his location, Evans’ goal is to inspire people.

I look at him and how he treats other people, even complete strangers, and it inspires me to be nicer and work harder towards other people”

— Senior Caroline Daniels

“He really inspires me to be a better person,” Daniels said. “I look at him and how he treats other people, even complete strangers, and it inspires me to be nicer and work harder towards other people.”

Evans said he hopes his success is “a little boost” for students to follow in his footsteps.

“[I would tell kids to] listen more than you speak, humble yourself and be very appreciative for the things that you have and the people you have around you because it could be here one day and gone the next,” Evans said. “That’s really my message — show love, spread the love — it’s as simple as that.”