• September 8Football @ Manhattan High School

• September 5Boys Soccer vs St Thomas Aquinas at 6:15

• August 21First Solar Eclipse in 38 Years

• May 12Girls swim competes at League at the KSU Natatorium at 3:30 p.m.

• May 12Boys tennis competes at State at Olathe Northwest at 11 a.m.

Filed under News, Showcase

Additional spots to be added to parking lot this summer

Students who are unable to find spots in the parking lot often park on the access road in front of the school. New spots will be added to the parking lot over the summer.

Megan Spangler

Megan Spangler

The Washburn Rural student parking lot will be under renovation this summer. New parking spots will be put on the north side of the parking lot by the tennis courts.

Additionally, administration has plans to take out the medians dividing the front and back parking lots to put in more rows there. The hope is that 78 parking spots will be added.

Principal Ed Raines requested that the school add more parking lot spaces three years ago, but due to lack of funding, it did not happen. Because this year’s freshmen class is over 500 students and the upcoming freshmen have a similar class size, it is now a necessity that there are more spots.

Many students at Washburn Rural believe that the parking lot is too crowded.

The amount of cars in the parking lot makes parking permits pretty much worthless because there’s no point in buying a parking permit if you aren’t guaranteed a spot”

— Sophomore Josh Knapp

“The amount of cars in the parking lot makes parking permits pretty much worthless because there’s no point in buying a parking permit if you aren’t guaranteed a spot,” sophomore Josh Knapp said.

Junior Brandi Cayler thinks that the lack of parking spots has to do with the disarray of the parking lot.

“Not everyone has a parking spot, so they have to find grass to park or just park wherever they can,” Cayler said.

Although many students agree that the school needs more parking spots, it is unclear to them whether or not the school has the space for the new spots without making it more crowded.

Sophomore Katrina Connolly said she worries that although the addition may be necessary, it could make entering and exiting the parking lot more difficult.

“It might help to stop the illegal parking, but I think it will make getting in and out of school harder,” Connolly said.

Despite the worry of the parking lot becoming more crowded, the addition of new spots helps to put some new drivers at ease.

Freshman Emma Waters said she feels more comfortable knowing there will be more parking spots next year so when she begins driving she will not have to worry about arriving to school early just for a parking spot.     

Raines said he believes that there is not a way to tell if the spots will make the parking lot more crowded until they try it.

“If by crowded they mean more cars, then yes,” Raines said. “If they mean more accidents, time will tell where that’s concerned.”

We have a few accidents each year, but I don’t think adding 78 parking spots will drastically increase the number of accidents”

— Principal Ed Raines

If more spots are still needed after the addition, the school plans to take out the grass behind Tallgrass Student Learning Center and put in more rows.

Raines said he does not believe the addition of 78 parking spots will drastically raise the number of accidents that occur, which is around four or five a year.

Security officer Ryan Ladner said he believes that the school needs the new spots to ensure that more students will have a safe place to park.

“We have a few accidents each year, but I don’t think adding 78 parking spots will drastically increase the number of accidents,” Raines said.

Despite the concerns, Raines is hopeful that these new additions will diminish the current parking lot issues.