• January 19Topeka Sizzlers Basketball, Activity Center; 7 - 10 pm

• January 19V Boys Basketball @ Basehor-Linwood Mid-Season Tournament

• January 19Dancin' Blues @ Miss Kansas Dance Competition, Olathe South; 9 am

• January 18V Boys Basketball @ Basehor-Linwood Mid-Season Tournament; 4:30 pm

• January 18Girls Basketball v Junction City, Activity Center; 4:30 - 10 pm

Percussion Ensemble performs at workshop

Megan Spangler

More stories from Megan Spangler

Veganism
February 7, 2018
Tennis court addition
October 6, 2017
Junior+KJ+Davis+plays+the+marimba+during+rehearsal+on+March+8.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Junior KJ Davis plays the marimba during rehearsal on March 8.

Danielle Pancoast

Danielle Pancoast

Danielle Pancoast

On Feb. 24-25, the Washburn Rural Percussion Ensemble attended the Kansas Music Educators Association (KMEA) In-Service Workshop at the Century II Convention Center in Wichita.

This was the first WRHS performance group since 2009 to attend the conference.

About 95 percent of Kansas high school and collegiate music programs participated in the convention.

However, the ensembles have to audition in order to perform and Washburn Rural’s percussionists were selected.

Being invited to this event shows that your music program has reached a level of prestige”

— Percussion Ensemble director Chris Exum

For ensemble director Chris Exum, he said he felt the percussionists were well prepared.

“Being invited to this event shows that your music program has reached a level of  prestige,” Exum said. “I felt like the Washburn Rural Percussion Ensemble reached this level last year, so I auditioned and we were invited to perform.”

The ensemble is made up of students from all grades and all were able to attend the convention.

Freshman Kaylie Green said she felt she played well and learned a lot by listening to many other talented groups perform.

KMEA is the biggest stage for musical ensembles in Kansas, so there was excitement all around”

— Senior Anthony Dake

“I was one of two freshman playing on this long piece with these talented juniors and seniors, but I stayed mature and confident and did surprisingly well,” Green said.

Senior Anthony Dake said he was satisfied with their performance and was excited prior to playing.

“I was incredibly excited to perform and do what I love in front of an audience and alongside friends,” Dake said. “KMEA is the biggest stage for musical ensembles in Kansas, so there was excitement all around.”

As a conductor, Exum felt attending the KMEA was a big milestone in his career.

“Being able to perform at the KMEA In-Service Workshop is one of many career highlights most Kansas music educators want to achieve,” Exum said.

About the Contributors
Megan Spangler, Writer/Photographer

Hey! I’m Megan Spangler and I’m a sophomore and this is my second semester on the newspaper staff. I love Great Danes and I’m always listening to...

Danielle Pancoast, Print Editor

Hey I'm Danielle. I’m a senior and this is my third year on the newspaper staff. I write, take pictures, and design pages for the paper. I am involved...