• October 19V Football vs Seaman (Senior Night), WRHS Turf Field; 7 pm

• October 18No School

• October 18Open Parent/Teacher Conferences, 12 - 3 pm

• October 17Student-Led Parent/Teacher Conferences, 5:20 - 8 pm

• October 17Open Parent/Teacher Conferences, 4 - 5:20 pm

Filed under News

Team advances to national quiz competition

Seniors+Veronica+Lyle%2C+Kyle+Peter%2C+junior+Michael+Navarro+and+senior+Ali+Guzel+won+the+Academic+WorldQuest+competition+on+March+4.++
Seniors Veronica Lyle, Kyle Peter, junior Michael Navarro and senior Ali Guzel won the Academic WorldQuest competition on March 4.

Photo submitted

Photo submitted

On March 4, a group of Washburn Rural High School scholars won the Academic WorldQuest competition in Shawnee, Kan. at the Shawnee Civic Centre.

Seniors Veronica Lyle, Kyle Peter and Ali Guzel, along with junior Michael Navarro attended the event as a team with gifted facilitator Lindsey Dowell as their sponsor.

Overall, around 4,000 students from 50 local Councils will compete for a chance to attend Nationals in Washington D.C. The team of Lyle, Peter, Guzel and Navarro qualified by winning the competition in Shawnee.

Leading up the event, the students were given a 16-page document containing links to another document consisting of 5-30 pages of information. The group decided they would each take one-fourth of the information and read through it.

Dowell was considerate of the students busy schedules and was worried their retention could be affected by their busy lives.

“With the busy schedules these students have, I wasn’t sure how much information on the difficult topics they could retain,” Dowell said.

The competition tested over 10 categories: Current Events, Great Decisions, Peace and Conflict in Today’s World, Combating Infectious Disease, European Union, Countering Violent Extremism, Turkey, Global Megacities, China and Women in Technology.

Dowell said she was excited to see what they had accomplished with their knowledge on the 10 topics.

“At first, the team and I were in shock. After a couple seconds, the students realized it was them and were just thrilled with the results,” Dowell said.

The group took first place winning a trip to Nationals this spring on April 28-29.

When they arrive, they will attend a welcoming banquet ceremony.

Peter said he is excited to attend and to have the opportunity to go to Washington D.C.

“I’m most excited about being in [Washington] D.C., but also [I’m excited] to have an opportunity to bring home the national trophy,” Peter said.

The competition becomes intense due to the schools narrowing down to the top competitors at Nationals.

No matter what the outcome, I’m proud of these students for the accomplishment of making it to a national competition”

— Academic WorldQuest sponsor Lindsey Dowell

Lyle said she is thrilled to even participate in the event.

“Honestly, I am excited just to be going,” Lyle said. “The competition will still be interesting.”

Regardless of the outcome, Dowell said she was proud of the students on her team and what they had accomplished.

“No matter what the outcome, I’m proud of these students for the accomplishment of making it to a national competition,” Dowell said.