• March 19Summer Drivers Education Enrollment, Auditorium; 5:30-7:30 pm

• March 19Girls Dive Meet @ Emporia HS; 4 pm

• March 192019-2020 Cheer Tryout Clinic; 3:15-5:30 pm

• March 192019-2020 Concert Band Auditions, Band Room; 3:05-4 pm

• March 192019-2020 Concert Band Auditions, Band Room; 7 - 7:50 am

Filed under Wrestling

Wrestling team places second at League

Back to Article
Back to Article

Wrestling team places second at League

Senior Lenny Robinson attempts to pin junior Trey Yerta during an intersquad scrimmage on Nov. 30.

Danielle Pancoast

Danielle Pancoast

Danielle Pancoast

On Feb. 4, the wrestling team finished second at the League tournament. The team took home three individual League titles, two second places and three third place finishes.

Freshman Gavin Carter was named the League’s top newcomer.

Head wrestling coach Damon Parker said he was impressed by their performance at League, but knows that Regionals will be a much bigger challenge.

You have to beat the best to be the best”

— Head coach Damon Parker

“Our Regional is just absurd. Out of the 10 ranked 6A teams, nine of them are in our region,” Parker said. “We won’t back down from any of the competition, and we expect to have a great tournament. You have to beat the best to be the best.”

Junior Austin Jenkins said he believes everyone brought their best to League and hopes Regionals turns out the same.

“From this last weekend, I am feeling highly confident in the team’s ability to do well and win the Regional tournament,” Jenkins said. “My main focus is to just go out and win and wrestle my opponent to the best of my abilities.”

Senior Brayden Collins was one of the three Washburn wrestlers to receive first place in their weight class at League.

I am feeling highly confident in the team’s ability to do well and win the Regional tournament”

— Junior Austin Jenkins

“After my results at League, I have come to the realization that I need to work on certain areas, but I also have what it takes to make it to State,” Collins said.

Parker has not only been happy with the way this year’s team has been wrestling, but also how they have carried themselves.

The way our wrestlers have grown the sport and put it in the spotlight here at WRHS has made me really proud,” Parker said. “They’ve got people in the hallways talking about Rural wrestling like they never have before.”

With the season coming to an end, the results of these tournament show a lot about the team and their development from the first few weeks of wrestling.

“This season has really opened my eyes to the team aspect part of wrestling,” Collins said. “I come from different schools and different wrestling teams, and I have never felt more welcome and more like a family than I do with this team.”

Wrestling is about so much more than wrestling”

— Head coach Damon Parker

Throughout the season, the team has developed a different character and understanding of the sport. Parker has worked to better his team as students and as wrestlers, and believes this is the most important part.

“Wrestling is about so much more than wrestling. It is our goal to improve every day as a person, a student, and a wrestler,” Parker said. “I would be remiss if I didn’t approach our sport from a character development standpoint first, and this sport provides so many opportunities for individual growth, learning from adversity and goal attainment.”

The team will be traveling to Hutchinson on Feb. 17 to compete in the Regional tournament where they will have the possibility of qualifying wrestlers for State the following weekend.

Danielle Pancoast, Print Editor

Hey I'm Danielle. I’m a senior and this is my third year on the newspaper staff. I write, take pictures, and design pages for the paper. I am involved...