• August 16Cross Country Parent Information Meeting in the Library, 5:30 pm

• August 15Girls' Golf Parent Information Meeting @ Cypress Ridge Golf Course, 5:30 pm

• August 14First Day of School for Freshman and Returning Students

• August 13First Day of Fall Sports

• August 12WRHS Building Tours 2:00 - 4:00 pm

Filed under News

Theatre department puts on musical

Senior John Katz, who plays Bobby Child, kneels and proposes to Polly Baker, who is played by senior Shannon Nelson during rehearsal on Jan. 12.

Nicole Mitchell

Nicole Mitchell

On Feb. 2-Feb. 4, the Washburn Rural High School theatre department will take the stage with Crazy For You. The show will begin at 7 p.m. and will last approximately two hours.

The directors and students are spending their free time making it into a show students and staff would enjoy seeing.

Freshman Rachel Meyer has been involved in theatre since she was five years old. This year, she is playing Vera in the musical.

Meyer said she believes the actors portrayal of the characters will make the show one to remember.

“We have such amazing actors at Washburn Rural who really take the time to get to know their character,” Meyer said.

Junior Chase Tilden, who has taken part in about 24 shows throughout his life, is confident in the actors as well.

“I know everyone in the musical will nail it,” Tilden said.

The show is focused around the life of a banker, Bobby Child, who is working hard to pursue his dreams of becoming a dancer. As Child works through each of his struggles, he meets Polly Baker, whom he instantly falls in love with.

I can’t wait for the audience to see this production”

— Director Connie McGinnis

Each character has their own unique personality and Meyer believes drama teacher Connie McGinnis, chose the perfect students to portray them.

“The casting was spot on; [director Connie] McGinnis definitely chose a good one this year,” Meyer said.

McGinnis said she is very excited for opening night.

“I can’t wait for the audience to see this production,” McGinnis said. “It’s funny, upbeat and has amazing comedic timing.”                 

The Washburn Rural theatre group invites students and staff to experience a night full of laughs, love and a great show.

This is a show that people of all ages will thoroughly enjoy”

— Director Connie McGinnis

“This is a show that people of all ages will thoroughly enjoy,” McGinnis said. “It’s a toe-tapping great time.”

Tickets are on sale now and can be bought online or at the WRHS Bank during all three lunches. Ticket prices range from $6-$9. The seats that are not sold out one hour prior to the show will be sold at the door.