• March 19Summer Drivers Education Enrollment, Auditorium; 5:30-7:30 pm

• March 19Girls Dive Meet @ Emporia HS; 4 pm

• March 192019-2020 Cheer Tryout Clinic; 3:15-5:30 pm

• March 192019-2020 Concert Band Auditions, Band Room; 3:05-4 pm

• March 192019-2020 Concert Band Auditions, Band Room; 7 - 7:50 am

Filed under Wrestling

Wrestling tops second ranked team in state

Back to Article
Back to Article

Junior Trey Yerta attempts to pin sophomore Jake Brunton during the inter-squad wrestling scrimmage on Nov. 29.

Danielle Pancoast

Danielle Pancoast

Danielle Pancoast

We focus on ourselves and being the best we can possibly be every time we step on the mat”

— Head coach Damon Parker

The wrestling team kicked off their season on Dec. 1 with a win against Manhattan, the No. 2 ranked team in the state.

“We’ve said since day one we will not bow to any man or any program,” head coach Damon Parker said. “We don’t focus on the ranking next to an opponent’s name. We focus on ourselves and being the best we can possibly be every time we step on the mat.”

Taking Parker’s advice, the team put in a lot of time to prepare for their season opener.

“I think that since everyone knew that they were a higher level team, we prepared better,” freshman Gavin Collins said.

Collins started the team off strong by getting a pin in the second period with 35.1 seconds left.  

“[I felt more pressure going first] because I felt like I could ruin it or have it get to a good rolling start,” Collins said.

The team continued earning points for the next three matches. Sophomore Eli Reiling and senior Alex Ackerman got quick pins in the first period and junior Gunnar Murray pulled through with a pin in the third.

“Honestly, I didn’t really know [what the outcome would be] because both teams are really good, but every point counted and [I knew] if everyone did their part, we could get a victory,” Murray said.

After the four pin streak, Manhattan pulled ahead and got five wins in a row, but only two of those were pins. This put them ahead 28-24 due to the fact that wins are worth five points and pins are worth six.

Following Carter, seniors Nate Iles and Brayden Collins walked away with wins after long, close matches.

This put Washburn Rural ahead 30-29, but due to a Manhattan wrestler not making weight, the next match was won by forfeit, so the team went into the heavyweight match leading 36-29.

After a hard-fought match from heavyweight wrestler Jacob Glendinning, Manhattan got a pin, but six points was not enough to take the win for them.

We feel we have a mental edge on everyone we wrestle, and in this sport, when all other things are equal, the more focused team wins”

— Head coach Damon Parker

“There was no question in my mind our wrestlers would show up well,” Parker said. “We feel we have a mental edge on everyone we wrestle, and in this sport, when all other things are equal, the more focused team wins.”

Yet, even with the win, the wrestling team is looking to the future.

“[After the dual], Coach Parker was telling us we can celebrate, but don’t forget we still have to keep getting better,” Carter said.

Washburn Rural beat the No. 2 team in the state 36-35, but that was not their only victory of the week. They then went and competed in the Leavenworth Challenger, getting first place by 69.5 points.

Ackerman, Murray, juniors Austin Jenkins and Blake Abram and sophomore Drake Graybeal received first in their weight groups.

The wrestling team left Leavenworth with 19 medals, five brackets and a first place plaque.

Danielle Pancoast, Print Editor

Hey I'm Danielle. I’m a senior and this is my third year on the newspaper staff. I write, take pictures, and design pages for the paper. I am involved...