• October 19V Football vs Seaman (Senior Night), WRHS Turf Field; 7 pm

• October 18No School

• October 18Open Parent/Teacher Conferences, 12 - 3 pm

• October 17Student-Led Parent/Teacher Conferences, 5:20 - 8 pm

• October 17Open Parent/Teacher Conferences, 4 - 5:20 pm

Filed under Boys Basketball

Boys basketball vs. Olathe Northwest preview

Senior Zach Ebert shoots a free throw during the inter-squad scrimmage on Nov. 28.

Charles Dilliehunt

Charles Dilliehunt

The boys basketball team plays Olathe Northwest tonight at 7 p.m.

“[Olathe Northwest is] a very experienced team with a ton of talent,” head coach Todd McAtee said. “They have a lot of size and athleticism inside and a couple of guys on the perimeter that can really shoot.”

Stopping their big men will take hard work and mental toughness”

— Senior Sam Wingert

Olathe Northwest is an experienced team with five players who played major minutes last season returning and are led by their inside game. Olathe Northwest has three players taller than 6 feet 5 inches.

“Stopping their big men will take hard work and mental toughness,” senior post Sam Wingert said.

Defensive rebounding is a key for Rural tonight.

“We’re going to have to really work to box out,” McAtee said.

Rural is planning to combat their lack of size with their speed and athleticism.

“If we run the floor the way we’re capable of, we could possibly take advantage of their big lineup,” McAtee said.

Last season, Olathe Northwest beat Rural 47-32.

“If we play smart and play together we will be walking out with a win,” senior post Nate Brozek said.

Rural is also a very experienced team this season with five seniors and six juniors and many have varsity experience.

“[Being a senior] is different because I’m seen as more of a leader on the team and as someone the younger guys can look up to,” Wingert said.

If we play smart and play together we will be walking out with a win”

— Senior Nate Brozek

Having the experience has been a benefit to the coaching staff.

“We’ve been able to implement things much more efficiently this year in practice,” McAtee said.

After going 7-14 a year ago, Rural is very optimistic about this season.

“Everyone on this team is committed to getting better and making the team better,” Wingert said.

Drew Galloway, Writer
My name is Drew Galloway. I have been on The Blue Streak staff for two years. I used to play basketball, but I have developed knee problems, so now I am a basketball manager. I am the assistant executive producer for a website: www.wearedynasty.com. I have season tickets for Kansas State football and basketball. My...
1 Comment

One Response to “Boys basketball vs. Olathe Northwest preview”

1. Martha Snyder on December 2nd, 2016 12:40 pm

Great interviews Drew , your a natural .
    Go Rural , play as a team you will win !