Math teacher Loren Shinn teaches logarithms during his Integrated Math 3 class on Jan. 10. (Nicole Mitchell)
Math teacher Loren Shinn teaches logarithms during his Integrated Math 3 class on Jan. 10.

Nicole Mitchell

Common Core creates controversy among students

February 1, 2017

Common Core includes a set of academic standards in math and English that students must meet by the end of each grade. 42 states and the District of Columbia have adopted the standards. Kansas adopted the standards in 2010.

Common Core is beneficial to students

Nicole Mitchell

Junior Rachelle Kaur and Junior Cheyanne Colwell get out their materials for class during third hour on Jan. 10.

Common Core should continue to be implemented because it would be very complicated to change the system at this point in time. High school students working towards graduation would have all their requirements for graduating, colleges, and scholarships changed around to meet different standards that will be set with a different system. There’s no way to change the system without having some kind of negative effect on students currently following the Common Core standards.

Common Core gives every student equal opportunity and puts everyone at a level playing field. Every student has the same advantages and access to the same resources. Without this kind of system, students would be given unequal opportunity for success.

A common misconception about the way the system sets its standards is by lowering them to the least common denominator.

This is actually untrue because there has been a clearly stated agreement between Common Core and the states that no state would lower its standards to create the illusion that all students receive a proper education. The standards are created to build upon the most advanced current thinking to prepare students for success not only in secondary schooling but also in the workplace.

Without this kind of system, students would be given unequal opportunity for success

Common Core should continue to be implemented because it is a system that creates an equal opportunity for learning while preparing students to succeed in life after high school.